Recent comments

• 11: It's Educational   6 years 11 weeks ago

• 11: It's Educational   6 years 38 weeks ago
  • 11: It's Educational   6 years 38 weeks ago

Thanks for your comments! In terms of accountability and motivation, I was so happy that Massachusetts started calculating student growth along with an absolute score. It tells a much more descriptive story of what a student, school, and teachers are achieving than just a an absolute score.

• 11: It's Educational   6 years 38 weeks ago

I especially loved listening to you honestly discuss your school's analysis of its flat growth line. I'm so glad that, as a community, you guys decided to change your mindset and start believing in challenging kids more. High-stakes testing is not without its [very serious] problems, but in general, high standards drive improvement (and as another high school English teacher, I agree--the MCAS is actually a good test of students' reading comprehension and writing skills). Having high-risk students living in poverty is NEVER an excuse for a school not to show any growth (though it MAY--again, MAY--be an excuse for some students testing below what the state considers to be a "proficient" level). I think the mark of a good school (and therefore the standard by which all schools should be judged) is the growth that students make while they're there.

• 11: It's Educational   6 years 38 weeks ago

Charter schools are what give me hope for our education system. We need more educators who are open minded enough to change their beliefs when they aren't working. And who understand the ability of teachers to be agents of social justice.

I thought the high % of foster youth in your school was interesting; I'd love to see data on outcomes for foster youth who have attended charter schools. I've worked with foster youth off and on for several years and their rate of college attendance/graduation is abysmally low, as I'm sure you know.

• 10: Mind the Gutter   6 years 45 weeks ago

This was a really fun segment, thanks to both of you. I am a big fan of Love and Rockets and early MAD, so I'm always glad to hear Harvey Kurtzman and Jaime Hernandez get their due.

• 9: Child's Mind   6 years 51 weeks ago

awesome exercise! i think all of us should be much more mindful of what we put into our bodies. (food inc. woke me up to that big time.)

• 5: Flashback   7 years 9 weeks ago

Hi Tom, Alana and Christine!
    Wow, so many things to say. I really enjoyed this episode. About flash fiction: I was interested in how you disagreed with the idea that it's not about a short attention span, that flash requires MORE from a reader, rather than less. I liked how the piece you read about the man and the woman reached forward and backwards into the past and the future, but the narrative was all in the present (if that makes sense.) It really requires a lot from the reader to imagine both the past and the future.

I also liked the genre bending nature of your memoir / fiction. It says a lot about the nature of memory--all memoirs are the memories of memories, but your piece uses that as a strength, rather than trying to hide it with lots of interviewing. I wondered if you had read "We Didn't Come Here For This," by William Patrick, a memoir in poetry. I think you would enjoy it, for its genre-bending nature, and how he speaks in his parents' voice so much. Maybe I could give it to Tom next time I see him. :D

Okay, thanks for giving me something awesome to listen to while I did cross stitch on this rainy Sunday.
    Love,
    Cat Ennis Sears

• 3: Picture Maker   7 years 29 weeks ago

Fantastic interview, Thomas! Nikhil is such an articulate speaker. Although I wasn't at his NYC performance in person, I feel like I have an insight into what he is trying to do and how his work has changed since I saw his shows at Ohio State.

• 2: Pulp Fiction   7 years 32 weeks ago

Thanks very much for your kind comment. I do find the 50's lesbian subculture a fascinating background for this sort of fiction, and I am having a lot of fun exploring it. I only hope that I can render it accurately.

I should say that some authors have already written mysteries set in the 50's lesbian world, but these have been humorous, campy pieces. The difference is that I am trying to write this as seriously as I can (though I do have some wisecracks in the dialogue, of course). Crime happened in that world, and crime is always serious.

• 2: Pulp Fiction   7 years 33 weeks ago

Great evocation of the noir style: dialogue, lighting, pacing.
    The lesbian subculture is a terrific new, unfamiliar framework for developing the characters.

• 2: Pulp Fiction   7 years 33 weeks ago

Hi Tom and Allan!
    I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole episode yet, but just visiting the page to see the links--I am really impressed with this meaty website and can't wait to explore all the links. :D
    Cat

• 1: Pandemic   7 years 39 weeks ago

What a exceptional story, beautifully written and lyrical. Great deal of emotion is generated not only from the prose, but from the vocal of the authors reading.

Terrific start to this Podcast. Truly looking forward to other chapters.

• 1: Pandemic   7 years 39 weeks ago

I think it sounds like hard work and fun, going to do research about historical disasters. Thanks for the podcast; really enjoyed thinking about the historical period, her authorship of it and your questions to her.

• 1: Pandemic   7 years 40 weeks ago

Woo, Cat! Great story. And what a well done show, kudos CNC folks!

• 1: Pandemic   7 years 40 weeks ago

A very nice start! Mm-mmm, democratizing goodness. As I would expect from you, the page for this episode is chuck full of useful extra information and leads, which is a welcome improvement over the one or two linear "would you like to know more?" links in many other podcasts. Keep that up. I'm looking forward to the next one.

All original content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 License.